Richard Hughes rings bell at Coralville schoolhouse rededication, 1983

Dublin Core

Description

Richard Hughes rings the bell on the front steps of the 1876 Coralville schoolhouse as a part of a ceremony that rededicated the building as a museum of the Johnson County Historical Society. A man holds the school door open behind Hughes, while three people stand at the bottom of the steps, facing away from the camera. Mayor Michael Kattchee is the man on the left, touching his hat.

According to Walch, the celebration of this rededication also marked the first 4thFest, now an annual tradition in the city of Coralville (Walch, p. 83).

Hughes was a longtime instructor in the Coralville school system. He began teaching in the old school building in the 1940s, transferring to the new Coralville Central School building when it opened in 1949. Hughes also served as principal at Herbert Hoover Elementary and Kirkwood Elementary (Brandstatter).

Publisher

Coralville Public Library. Coralville Digital History Library.

Date

July 1983

Rights

Educational use only, no other permissions given.

Format

jpeg

Coverage

Coralville, Iowa

Files

97.33.64d.jpg

Citation

“Richard Hughes rings bell at Coralville schoolhouse rededication, 1983,” Coralville Digital History Library, accessed December 2, 2022, https://coralvilledigitalhistory.omeka.net/items/show/132.

Output Formats

Social Bookmarking