Fred Paintin, town marshal, parks his car, 1954-1955

Dublin Core

Description

Fred Paintin,the Coralville town marshal from 1952 to 1957, leaves his car parked on the side of the road. The vehicle, a late 1940's Hudson, is outfitted with a stop light on its front and back. This is one of the last town marshal cars used in Coralville.

Because the Hudson didn't have a police radio or phone, Paintin spent his afternoons at a local restaurant called the Wagon Wheel. There, he drank coffee and waited for the phone to ring. The Wagon Wheel can be seen across the street; it is the first building to the left. The far right building, a white house, belonged to Edward Koser. This photo is taken from Koser's Store across Fifth Street (Brandstatter).

Coralville had town marshals from 1874 to 1956, when Police Chief John McGaffey was hired (Lovetinsky et al., p. 51).

Publisher

Coralville Public Library. Coralville Digital History Library.

Date

Mid 1950s

Contributor

Rights

Educational use only, no other permissions given.

Format

jpeg

Coverage

Coralville, Iowa

Files

Brandstatter-R_0013.jpg

Citation

“Fred Paintin, town marshal, parks his car, 1954-1955,” Coralville Digital History Library, accessed September 22, 2021, https://coralvilledigitalhistory.omeka.net/items/show/16.

Output Formats

Social Bookmarking