The mills of Coralville, 1890s

98.79.3.jpg

Dublin Core

Description

The brick mills of Coralville line the Iowa River. As written on page 14 of Lest We Forget:

'Left to right: The woolen mill erected in 1866 was later converted to an oatmeal factory called Pearl Mill, wall of the old paper mill in center with light plant (smoke stack is on the light plant), and Valentine Miller's flour mill.'

The Woolen Mill was constructed by the Home Manufacturing Company in 1866 to manufacture 10,000 yards of materials per month. Materials included cassimeres, flannels, blankets, jeans, and yarn. The superintendent of the mill was Humphrey Taylor. Though extensive, the mill ultimately proved unprofitable and was adapted into the oatmeal factory Pearl Oat Mill. (Lovetinsky et al., p. 14).

Coral Mills, the brick flour mill, was built in the mid to late 1870s after the Clarksville Mill burned in 1873. The cost was $19,000, and paid for by Valentine Miller and William W. Kirkwood. Miller owned three fourths interest, and Kirkwood one fourth. The mill ran generally both day and night with five employees, with the capacity of one hundred barrels a day (Lovetinsky et al., p. 12).

In his book, Walch notes the smaller buildings in the background, which served as homes for the mill workers (Walch, p. 31).

Publisher

Coralville Public Library. Coralville Digital History Library.

Date

1890s

Rights

Educational use only, no other permissions given.

Format

jpeg

Coverage

Coralville, Iowa

Citation

“The mills of Coralville, 1890s,” Coralville Digital History Library, accessed July 22, 2024, https://coralvilledigitalhistory.omeka.net/items/show/213.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>