Wilson's store, 1900s-1910s

Dublin Core

Description

A photograph of Wilson's Store. A two-story building with a front porch and a brick chimney, a giant mural is painted on the wall that states, "Fashionable Clothing, Coast & Sons Iowa City." A man sits on the front porch, his legs crossed. Several barrels sit on the porch with him; according to Lovetinsky, the barrels to the left contain vinegar and the ones on the opposite side of the door contain salt. The words, "Wilsons store, Coralville, Iowa," are written in white in the bottom lefthand corner.

This general store was initially owned by Thomas Ross Hackett and John Williams, until about 1875. Edward Koser purchased the building in 1903 or 1904 and had it moved to the intersection of First Avenue and Fifth Street; Charles Wilson managed the store until 1914, when Edward Koser took over operations (Lovetinsky et al., p. 60; Walch, p. 40).

Publisher

Coralville Public Library. Coralville Digital History Library.

Date

1900s - early 1910s

Rights

Educational use only, no other permissions given.

Format

jpeg

Language

English

Coverage

Coralville, Iowa

Files

82.125.1.jpg

Citation

“Wilson's store, 1900s-1910s,” Coralville Digital History Library, accessed September 22, 2021, https://coralvilledigitalhistory.omeka.net/items/show/215.

Output Formats

Social Bookmarking