Front view of wheelhouse under construction, 1915

Dublin Core

Description

A front view of the wheel-house under construction in 1915. It contained two waterwheels and was a part of the project to rebuild the dam in the 1910s.

This wheel-house was a part of the Iowa City Light and Power Company. The articles of this company, originally the Iowa City Electric Light Company, were incorporated on August 18, 1886. According to Lovetinsky et al., "This company was organized to furnish lighting for an arc system for the businesses of Iowa City. The plant was permanently installed at Coralville" (p. 61).

The plant was destroyed thirteen years later on January 3, 1899 in a fire. It was quickly rebuilt and in operation again in the summer of that same year. According to Lovetinsky et al., "A modern gas plant was erected in 1902, and put into service for the first time in 1904. During 1909 the gas and electric companies were consolidated and in 1912 it became known as the Iowa City Light and Power Company" (p. 61).

Publisher

Coralville Public Library. Coralville Digital History Library.

Date

1915

Rights

Educational use only, no other permissions given.

Format

jpeg

Coverage

Coralville, Iowa

Files

98.34.181(c).jpg

Citation

“Front view of wheelhouse under construction, 1915,” Coralville Digital History Library, accessed September 22, 2021, https://coralvilledigitalhistory.omeka.net/items/show/218.

Output Formats

Social Bookmarking