Coralville Heights Club, 1920s-1930s

Dublin Core

Description

Sixteen members of the Coralville Heights Club gather for a photograph. Six women kneel, while the others stand behind them in a line. All wear dresses in various patterns.

First row, left to right: Ona Zimmerli, Beatrice Rinda, Sally Robertson, Blanche Cortlett, Isabel Webb, Vera Russell.

Back row, left to right: Mrs. Seeber, Genevieve Brandstatter, Virginia Jones, Ruth Evans, Winnie Shay, Mrs. Sullivan, Nadine Bender, Connie West, Mrs. Kohn, Mollie Webb.

The Coralville Heights Club was formed on May 10, 1928 in the home of Ed and Beatrice Rinda as a neighborhood social club for women, although husbands were invited to attend the second meeting of the month.

The club would gather to craft and exchange recipes, though as the town and club grew, their projects became civic focused. Members helped organize garbage collection, playgrounds, and road repair; they also named streets and numbered houses. They were also focused on projects meant to help Coralville Heights children, from schooling and education to safety and recreational programs. The Club made a significant impact on the local community from the 1930s-1970s. Their responsibilities were eventually taken over by the city of Coralville when Coralville Heights was incorporated (Lovetinsky et al., p. 69-70; Walch, p. 107; Ancestry Library; Brandstatter).

Publisher

Coralville Public Library. Coralville Digital History Library.

Date

Late 1920s-1930s

Rights

Educational use only, no other permissions given.

Format

jpeg

Coverage

Coralville, Iowa

Files

98.34.150.jpg

Citation

“Coralville Heights Club, 1920s-1930s,” Coralville Digital History Library, accessed September 22, 2021, https://coralvilledigitalhistory.omeka.net/items/show/225.

Output Formats

Social Bookmarking